Delaware Nursing License

Delaware Nursing License

If you want to work as a nurse in Delaware there are some requirements that you need to meet. The most important is to get a nursing license. All the nursing licenses in Delaware are provided by the State of Delaware Board of Nursing. They provide licenses to LPNs and RNs. There are two different methods of licensure process by examination and licensure by endorsement.

Delaware signed the Nurse Compact. And this means that if you are not planning to live in Delaware state then you can work with your license that is provided by another state. But it is hard to live and work in different states.

Here is a list of frequently asked questions.

Practical Nursing License Requirements

LPN Education Requirements

All the LPN candidates need to complete a board-approved nursing training program that includes a minimum of 200 hours of clinical practice. The first important requirement is to have a high school or equal education. You can find all the acceptable training programs on the site of the Delaware BON.

LPN Application Process and NCLEX-PN

You need to submit two applications. The first, to the Delaware Board of Nursing, the second, to the organization that handles the NCLEX-PN, this is an exam for practical nurses. After completing the program you have a year to apply for a license. Or you need to take the test.

You need to provide fingerprints for a criminal background check. And also you need to submit an official transcript, but there is no need to have it at the beginning. You can also provide a temporary permit with documentation from the program.

Temporary Practice Permit

If you request a temporary permit, first, you need to wait for the number, then start to work. If you take the training program in another state but want to get a license in Delaware, the licensure process is the same but you need to apply for a license by endorsement.

With the temporary permit, you can work under certain conditions. And it is provided for 90 days.

You need to pay $124 for the application and a $35 fee for the temporary permit.

For more information about fees click here.

If you fail the exam, you can take it during the next five years. But without it, you cannot work, and even if you have the temporary license it will become invalid. The exams are handled every 45 days.

Out of State LPN Candidates

If you already have a license provided by another state, you can apply for both licenses by examination or license by endorsement, it depends on the exams that you have passed.

You need to take a nursing training program if you haven’t been practicing nursing during the last five years, or haven’t completed a refresher course in the last two years.

If you have the acceptable continuing competency and experience requirements, you can get a  temporary permit.

RN License Requirements in Delaware

RN Education Requirements

If you are an RN you need to complete the professional nursing program, which consists of a minimum of 400 hours of clinical experience

Application Process and the NCLEX-RN

Here what you need to do:

  1. Get a licensing application.
  2. Provide your criminal history
  3. Send an official transcript to the Board
  4. Provide your driver’s license or ID
  5. Register with the testing company (you can schedule the exam after getting the authorization to test)
  6. Pay the fee of $124

The application needs to be filled out in its entirety, notarized.

If you pass the exam you will get a license, if you fail it you need to retake it and pay $20 for processing.

The licensure process usually takes one or two months. But you can work with interim permits for 90 days.

Out-of-State and International RN license Candidates

First of all, you need to provide

  • Employer reference form from the most recent employer
  • License verification from the state where you have been licensed

You must have experience of 1,000 hours in the last 5 years or 400 in the last two, if not you need to take a course.

If you have an active license, apply for a license by endorsement. It will take 4-6 weeks.

If you are a foreign candidate apply for a license by examination. And provide the certificate from CGFNS to prove education.

Karine H

Karine H

Karine is a newcomer in the content writing field. She is studying biomedical engineering at NPUA, previously she studied marketing at LPFA. Also, she takes part in different engineering projects and competitions like USWC 21 - Venture Cup. She started content writing a year ago and since then wrote about 100 articles for various websites. Karine has done various volunteering work, business meetings, etc. According to Karine, all the volunteer jobs helped her improve her communication, team working, problem-solving skills, which nowadays helps her in content writing as she knows what people want to hear, and what information they need. This is just the beginning and everything just stats for this girl.